iPod Nano

Craig Routledge lists-MKqfGmd6cJs0gtvRndBQZNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 3 15:42:05 UTC 2007

On 2007-11-02 09:49, Chris Aitken wrote:
> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Why does your yum want to access adobe?
> Well, it wants to access it because adobe-linux-i386.repo is in
> /etc/yum.repos.d/ and that file contained the line enabled=1
> /Why/ that adobe repo is even in /etc/yum.repos.d/ is still unknown...
>
> > Mine doesn't seem to.  Did
> > you add it to some config file?
> >
> I don't know when it showed up or got set to enabled=0. The first time
> I've ever been in the file was when Jamon suggested I edit it.

You most likely installed Flash for your web-browser.  Macromedia Flash was
purchased by Adobe, and Adobe provides a yum repository.

You can check by following the URL in the adobe-linux-i386.repo config file
with your web-browser and seeing what's there.

As for your general yum woes, if you think you've done really weird things
to your config files and don't remember what they are, just re-install it.
Download the latest rpm for yum.  Then:

  rpm -e yum
  rpm -i [yum-package-name]

If compatible, the old configuration files will still be there and the new
ones will instead have an .rpmnew extension.  Otherwise the old ones will
be renamed to end with .rpmsave and will not be active.  In the first case,
rename the old files and strip the .rpmnew extension from the new files and
you should be good to go.  In the second case, you're already set.

Make sure you check all your config files.
  /etc/yum.conf

and those in

  /etc/yum/
  /etc/yum.repos.d/

... and don't feel bad about messing up your system.  When I was playing
around with Linux for the first time, I didn't have much disk space and was
looking for stuff to remove.  This was the SLS distribution in 1992 at
kernel version 0.99.something.  I was merely playing with UNIX at home
because it seemed cool in those days just to *have* such a thing.  Read the
documentation?  Don't be silly.  I was having far too much fun doing
juvenile things like logging in several times and looking at the "w" and
"who" output.  For some bizarre reason I thought proc was only involved in
the installation process.  So I did an "rm -Rf /proc"

Strangely enough, the system didn't like that and I had to do a complete
re-install.