blocking p2p traffic

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 2 14:58:47 UTC 2007

Most of these P2P services use standard port numbers and as Len has
suggested, putting all the port ranges will provide the control you
require.

Asaf

On 11/2/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:25:08PM -0500, Teddy Mills wrote:
> > how can I block p2p traffic for network?
> > kazaa edonkey limewire etc.?
>
> Realisticly you can't.  If you can actually get a complete list of which
> port numbers each service uses you could block all of those and hope no
> one uses a non standard port number (which many of the protocols support
> too).
>
> The only realistic way I can think of to block all p2p traffic is to
> block all traffic.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is
much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that
might be wrong." - Richard P. Feynman