yum

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 2 14:14:11 UTC 2007

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
> |
> | I've hit a roadblock with trying to get iPod nano working under fedora 7.
>
> I've never tried to get an iPod Nano to work on Linux.  I don't have a
> Nano.  They do look cute but it appears as if Apple doesn't even want
> them to work except with iTunes.
>
> I did get a Creative Zen V working under FC7 (x86-64).  I chose to try
> Gnomad2.  I ended up having to fix a number of bugs in that program
> (portability bugs -- it worked in 32-bit mode).  I now have CVS commit
> permission on that project.  This is not the kind of adventure I
> recommend to you with your level of luck and experience.  I don't even
> recommend it to me.

I guess I'm stuck with the nano now. I can't take it back and say, "I
can't get it to work in fedora 7." It clearly states on the package it's
for Mac and the latest MS OSs.
> One of the great things with Linux is that you can get anything to
> work with enough time.  But it is important to figure out when to cut
> and run or all your time gets eaten.

Yeah, that's a tough one for me. I never did get Starcraft playing in
full screen in vmware (or downloading the updates to play online in
wine). I haven't been able to get the scanner function of my hp psc 1610
working. The iPod troubleshoot is in the works. Other than that, by the
grace of you guys, I have been able to get everything else working.
> Having said that, I'm pretty sure that getting the Nano working on FC7
> should be easy.

Well, amarok is installed now - I hope I'm on my way.
> | The
> | roadblock is that yum is broken. It points to repositories that don't work.
>
> Out-of-the-box, that isn't true.  Perhaps you've made some changes
> that have made it true.

Probably. Not by directly adding files to - or editing files in -
/etc/yum.repos.d, but I'm sure I did something funky by thrashing about.
> Have you kept track of all your changes?
No. I keep emails from tlug that point to solutions so I can use them
again. But keep track of my changes...no. I'll start now, though.
> That is one of the most
> important things that you learn by experience: always keep track of
> what you've done in a way that lets you undo it.

Okay.
> I use a source code control system to keep track of my config file
> evolution.  This works less well in the world of GUI config tools.
> And for you it would probably take a considerable amount of time to
> learn about, say, rcs.

True.
> | can't ping the repositories - so it's not just yum - I guess those
> | repositories have been retired.
>
> Normally yum works from a list of mirrors and when one fails, it moves
> to the next.  So what you've described should not happen with a stock
> setup.
>
> I don't know if livna has mirrors.  It might be a bottleneck (but it
> isn't a stock repository).
>
> If I remember correctly, yum tells you what the repository is when it
> runs into trouble.  You should tell us this in your problem report.

Okay.
> | I've asked several times in the iPod thread if
> | there is a working repository and how I can point yum to it. I've had no
> | response, so I'm starting a thread to ge my yum working.
>
> Big problems need to be broken down into little ones.
Okay.
>  Certainly
> getting yum to work for you should be an important early step.
>
> | I saw a post from someone when I was googling this subject. He got sick of yum
> | breaking in rh/fedora and switched to debian. The post was entitled 'apt-get
> | delete fedora, apt-get install debian'. For all the things I want to do, have
> | I outgrown rh/fedora?
>
> Unlikely.  But it is your choice.

Okay. I've been thinking of installing an OS from the debian side of
things on my daughter's computer. She's the one that is going to have
the iPod. That way I could try a debian distro on a non-production
computer and see if I am smitten (as Lennart and many others are). I
don't want to give up fedora lightly - it's on my wife's computer and my
computer - they are production machines for our business.
> Fedora itself is fairly careful not to include things made
> questionable by the US (and other) laws on "Intellectual Property".
> That means that MP3 stuff cannot be in Fedora.

Got it.
> Livna is the escape-hatch: it includes lots of things with
> questionable legal properties.  But it isn't part of Fedora proper and
> you pay a price for that.

The price being a configuration nightmare and bugs?
> If you want this stuff to "just work", Ubuntu and Linspire seem to be
> willing to push the legal envelope and hence makes things a bit easier
> for users.

Funny - I have considered both of those. Are either/both from the debian
side of things. I'm still not clear on the difference - is what I call
'rh/fedora type distros' really called sysV OSs? And what do you call
debian-type OSs?
> | If I can get yum fixed I would rather stick with fedora. I have managed (with
> | your help) to get my system doing everything else I want it to
> | (ripping/burning to CD, recording in audacity, configured emu1212-m pci
> | soundcard, printing/printing across network, etc.).
>
> That is promising.
>
> | I get it that you guys are working for nothing - and I have no doubt that I'm
> | one of the more frustrating guys to help. Thank you.
>
> Your problem reports are not complete enough for us to make good
> guesses as to what is going on.

Okay.
> Furthermore there are hints that you are doing random and scary
> configuration changes.
: / (sheepish smiley)
>  A complete report of all changes is needed so
> that we can guess the state of your system.  Certainly what you do
> report suggests to me that you've broken it in some creative ways.

: /
> Example: Lennart, a good diagnostician, is guessing that the problem
> is that Fedora is crap.  If you gave him more relevant information, he
> wouldn't make what I assume is a wild and inaccurate guess.

I see.
> This message has taken me perhaps half an hour to compose.
Thank you for your time and effort.
>   And at
> best it will only helped you a bit.
Well, sometimes attitude changes are in order.
> This may not be a great use of my
> time.  For example, using the same amount of time to fix a Gnomad2 bug
> might help a lot more people.

Well, I'm glad of your choice.
> I do understand being on the other side of this problem.  I've
> submitted a fix to OpenWRT a month ago and cannot find out why there
> has been no response.  I just don't yet know how to tap into the
> social structure of that project.  I've used the official bug
> reporting mechanism (trac), email to the developers' list (multiple
> times), and IRC (many times).
>
> Good luck!

Thanks,

Chris