yum

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 1 13:02:22 UTC 2007

On November 1, 2007 08:23:00 am Chris Aitken wrote:
> I've hit a roadblock with trying to get iPod nano working under
> fedora 7. The roadblock is that yum is broken. It points to
> repositories that don't work. I can't ping the repositories - so it's
> not just yum - I guess those repositories have been retired. I've
> asked several times in the iPod thread if there is a working
> repository and how I can point yum to it. I've had no response, so
> I'm starting a thread to ge my yum working. I don't mind doing a
> little work but when I get no response I don't know if that means I
> should go to another list, that list people are out of ideas, yum
> cannot be fixed, people dislike troubleshooting or that I'm being a
> pest and I should simply go away for a little while.

Try yum --disablerepo=livna,foo,bar where livna, foo, and bar are the
non-fedora repositories listed in /etc/yum.repos.d/

Then for each of those, edit the file and change enabled=1 to enabled=0

Try yum update without the disablerepo option.

> I saw a post from someone when I was googling this subject. He got
> sick of yum breaking in rh/fedora and switched to debian. The post
> was entitled 'apt-get delete fedora, apt-get install debian'. For all
> the things I want to do, have I outgrown rh/fedora?

You can run apt-get on Fedora, I prefer using that myself. yum install
apt I think it is, maybe yum install apt-get.

> If I can get yum fixed I would rather stick with fedora. I have
> managed (with your help) to get my system doing everything else I
> want it to (ripping/burning to CD, recording in audacity, configured
> emu1212-m pci soundcard, printing/printing across network, etc.).
>
> I get it that you guys are working for nothing - and I have no doubt
> that I'm one of the more frustrating guys to help. Thank you.

Sometimes those strange or difficult errors are covered in the man
pages, though reading through them can be a chore. But take a look at
man yum and you'll see a much better description of how to
use --disablerepo than I've given.

Jamon