Homegrown Linux/FOSS Adverts

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 31 15:09:09 UTC 2007

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:03:08AM -0400, David J
> Patrick wrote:
> > on a related note, hiring hugely visible
> billboards have been
> > suggested, and I think that's a SUPER idea !
> > the first one I'd like to see goes like this;
> >
> >  ====================
> >         THIS PENGUIN
> >            .-"""-.
> >           '       \
> >          |,.  ,-.  |
> >          |()L( ()| |
> >          |,'  `".| |
> >          |.___.',| `
> >         .j `--"' `  `.
> >        / '        '   \
> >       / /          `   `.
> >      / /            `    .
> >     / /              l   |
> >    . ,               |   |
> >    ,"`.             .|   |
> > _.'   ``.          | `..-'l
> > |       `.`,        |      `.
> > |         `.    __.j         )
> > |__        |--""___|      ,-'
> >   `"--...,+""""   `._,.-'
> >
> > POWERS THE INTERNET
> > ====================
> > simple, intriguing and undeniable, this giant
> poster will have the
> > entire city talking about linux and explaining to
> each other that,
> > yes, in fact, the majority of the worlds servers
> are penguin powered.
> > Many conversations will then turn to "have you
> SEEN the new linux
> > desktops ?..." and the very idea that our precious
> internet depends on
> > a cute (if gigantic) penguin will have many ready
> to defend it against
> > inevitable media attacks. I bet if we crystallized
> this goal (to rent
> > a billboard next to the the Gardener for a month)
> the community could
> > mobilize the funding required.
>
> I think to be much closer to the truth you would
> need a BSD deamon next
> to tux since I think combined they cover a very
> large amount of the
> internet servers.  Of course I know some ISPs run
> Solaris on sun
> hardware, and of course there is all the cisco and
> juniper, etc, gear
> too. :)

One of the Unix Unanimous semi-regulars I know
considers Linux too unreliable to use as a server OS.
Said person's home computer set-up is a mix of Sun and
old SGI machines (a very hard core Unix geek :-) ).
So, yes you can run a very solid ISP and be Linux free
(it will just cost you extra), what is still almost
impossible to do is run a reliable ISP based on
Windows...

This noted there will be a "free" Microsoft marketing
(er ... "educational") event coming up on June 16th
down at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, details
to be seen here:

   http://www.microsoft.com/canada/technet/energizeit/

Last time I attended a Microsoft event the food was
excellent (someone at Microsoft knows how to pick a
first rate venue :-) )... As is, I plan to attend, and
while there I expect to ... loose ... some copies of
Knoppix :-) . Question is, do I wear a Tux lapel pin
:-) .

Colin.