Homegrown Linux/FOSS Adverts

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 31 14:03:08 UTC 2007

On 29/05/07, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ok, so this was the TV, Internet & Democracy thread.  WTH.  I'd just
> like to know if anyone here thinks we _can_ make a difference.

Alright Scott, I'll rise to that bait; yes, with a bit of cash and a
few of the faithful, to carry stuff, we can make professional grade
adverts. As I'm sure many of you have heard me brag; I have spent most
of my life working in a vast range of capacities in radio, theatre,
film and television. I am (IMNSHO) a very good writer, director and
cameraman. I've shot NFB documentaries, national commercials, and
Directed live action, stunts, special effects, using every technique
and piece of equipment imaginable. I have a wide contact network of
suppliers and professionals and possess a surprising array of
production equipment. If some other folks are seriously interested, we
could kick out world class productions, and I think we SHOULD ! At the
caffe, we have been tossing around a few concepts, including yet
another Mac/PC/linux spots, and have even cast them ! (one of you
reaading this has been cast as PC, but you don't know it yet) I can
get a studio, lights, sound and camera, for basically nothing, but I
haven't got the time or energy to go it alone. this summer I hope to
solidify a group of the OSS-enthused into a working group who are
serious about large-scale high-impact campaigns.

on a related note, hiring hugely visible billboards have been
suggested, and I think that's a SUPER idea !
the first one I'd like to see goes like this;

  ====================
         THIS PENGUIN
            .-"""-.
           '       \
          |,.  ,-.  |
          |()L( ()| |
          |,'  `".| |
          |.___.',| `
         .j `--"' `  `.
        / '        '   \
       / /          `   `.
      / /            `    .
     / /              l   |
    . ,               |   |
    ,"`.             .|   |
 _.'   ``.          | `..-'l
|       `.`,        |      `.
|         `.    __.j         )
|__        |--""___|      ,-'
   `"--...,+""""   `._,.-'

POWERS THE INTERNET
====================
simple, intriguing and undeniable, this giant poster will have the
entire city talking about linux and explaining to each other that,
yes, in fact, the majority of the worlds servers are penguin powered.
Many conversations will then turn to "have you SEEN the new linux
desktops ?..." and the very idea that our precious internet depends on
a cute (if gigantic) penguin will have many ready to defend it against
inevitable media attacks. I bet if we crystallized this goal (to rent
a billboard next to the the Gardener for a month) the community could
mobilize the funding required.

so if you REALLY want to promote, let's talk.
djp