[OT] TV, Internet, and Democracy

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 30 02:10:13 UTC 2007

On 5/29/07, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So what are we doing for linuxinthepark 2007 this year then? Geek
> love-in or public outdoor tech advocacy love-in.

I understand David Patrick is keen on organizing it himself, and it
seems to me that that is the best possible idea for quite a number of
reasons, particularly when contrasting with (say) last year...

- David has the *PERFECT* location to arrange logistics, across the
street from a suitable park

Nobody else (save Seneca) has that particular advantage.  And his
having a restaurant makes him win that round :-).

- If he's keen on it, that's a further Good Thing.

- Contrast, a bit, last year; the loose bits of infrastructure
*mostly* grew around Linuxcaffe contributions; the number of other
volunteers who provided anything were pretty thin.  (Kudos to the
bringers of drinks and samosas; their names may not living forever in
our memory, but the thanks live on!)

Numerous other would-be organizers were away at critical times,
preventing better planning.

If this all falls as "David's responsibility," I'm quite confident
that the BBQ (and perhaps samosa orders!) won't just fall thru the
cracks.  (I'm hungry, at the moment, from whence the samosa fixation.
It nonetheless was a stunningly good idea that any organizer should
consider :-).  Being tasty yet economical is a Huge Win.)

I don't know that the Board has had any opinion at all on the matter;
my opinion is that if David's keen on running it, that's an excellent
idea, and people should presumably coordinate their samosa orders with
him :-).
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)