Homegrown Linux/FOSS Adverts

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 29 23:33:51 UTC 2007

Ok, so this was the TV, Internet & Democracy thread.  WTH.  I'd just
like to know if anyone here thinks we _can_ make a difference.

Now, before anyone responds directly to that statement, I'd like to
clarify a moment.

#1 - I know a bunch of folks on this list (and others besides) that
_would like to_ make a difference [in the way Linux/FOSS is
"understood" by the General Public].  All, fortunately, with differing
skill-bases.

#2 - I know there's virtually no money to work with.  Any financial
support would have to come from GTALUG sponsors and/or fundraising.

#3a - I'm looking, for the moment, as to _why_ (eg. reasons *you*
might support an advertising campaign)

#3b - and _how_ (eg. what media and/or strategies might *you* employ)
to make it possible.

Perhaps these questions are rhetorical.  Then again, I also suppose
that would depend on the feedback received.

--
Scott Elcomb

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain