Linux-friendly (non-Bell) GTA DSL providers

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 29 23:50:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 05:57:36PM -0400, Michael MacLeod wrote:
> On 5/29/07, George Nicol <gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> My experience with residential Sympatico DSL was that there was no traffic
> shaping or other practice that I would consider unethical. Despite have a
> sync rate of 1728/384 due to terrible phone lines in my area, I could
> download torrents faster than on my 6 megabit rogers connection.
>
> Blocking outbound port 25 doesn't qualify as unethical in my world. They
> didn't even block inbound port 25 (and rightly so).

I switched from Sympatico to DSL.CA 6 or 7 years ago exactly
because Sympatico *did* start blocking incoming port 25 (they
had been blocking outgoing port 25 traffic for a few years
before that).  Moreover, when I called their support line
to ask if that had happened, they said "no".  After a week
of trying lots of other things, I called their support again
and this time they admitted that they had.  When I switched,
the person I talked to at DSL.CA told me that thay had had
a lot of people switching to them for the same reason.  So,
either Sympatico decided they'd made a mistake and stopped
blocking incoming port 25, or the blocking is implemented
differently in different neighbourhoods.  (I wouldn't go back
in any case.  They don't get to lie to me again.)