[OT] TV, Internet, and Democracy

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 29 21:40:15 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne left a post-it on the fridge:

> > > It's unfair to say that the Vista launch demonstration was ineffective
> > > because it had little effect. Virtually all individual ads have little
> > > effect. It's the sum of many ads that make the difference. The more
> > > people that see the inflated penguin pop-up, the more they will think of
> > > it when they see Linux. It's reinforcement.
> >
> > No, I think Evan is right about this.
>
> No, I think Evan has a pathological fixation, cannot let go of something that
> happened 4 months ago, and is in need of serious help, (much unlike me) ;)

FWIW, I think Evan has made some valid observations.  Perhaps not
"correct" to your point of view, but valid at least.  I for one value
Evan's input, along with all the others' - such as your own.

What I would really like to see (and, as I'd hoped to point out in
another branch of this conversation) is for the various, outspoken,
components (alternatively, proponents) of our community working
together to find an effective way to advertise our interests and
concerns to the general public.

--
Scott Elcomb

"Our Founders' faith in the viability of representative democracy
rested on their trust in the wisdom of a well-informed citizenry,
their ingenious design for checks and balances, and their belief that
the rule of reason is the natural sovereign of a free people." - Al
Gore (The Assault on Reason, 2008)

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."  - Mark Twain