Teksavvy and Bittorrent

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 26 03:07:18 UTC 2007

George Nicol left a post-it on the fridge:

> http://www.portforward.com has detailed information on setting up port
> forwarding for a large number of different routers and it also has
> information on setting up a static IP address in your computer.
>
> To find out if you're behind a (transparent/anonymous) proxy, try
> ProxyJudge: http://proxyjudge.org/
> It lists the HTTP headers that the server where it is running received
> from you. The relevant ones are HTTP_CLIENT_IP, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and
> REMOTE_ADDR.

This is getting interesting...I think, I may be completely misunderstanding
something here.

My static IP, given to me by Teksavvy, is entered into the router's setup
config as a 'fixed IP'. However, in the status section, it has a different IP.
Also, the remote IP shown by my router is different than the one shown by
proxyjudge...

Is my old clunker of a firewall/router the thing giving me all this grief? I
know, I know, I'll call Teksavvy tech support, but now, unlike with calling
Sympatico, I'm afraid *I'll* be the one sounding like an id10t this time ;)

Thanks for these links, they're freaking me out totally, but that's a sign I
might just learn somethin' eh?

--
JoeHill