Teksavvy and Bittorrent

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 25 21:17:46 UTC 2007

George Nicol left a post-it on the fridge:

> JoeHill wrote:
> > I've got both tcp and udp, with tcp being first in the list if that
> > matters.
>
> Order is of no consequence.

Hey, you never know...well, no, *I* never know ;)

> > Azureus uses udp for its distributed database functionality.
>
> DHT is a security hazard - dangerous to *you* - and some private
> trackers demand that DHT be disabled. It's a slightly complicated
> procedure to disable DHT in Azureus. Some private trackers provide a
> howto, again, in their FAQs or support forum. I can provide the info, if
> needed.

Ah, okay, the Azureus docs, IIRC, were trumpeting the many benefits of using
DHT. I'll check the trackers I'm using on that, I had no idea it was an
opening for little net thugs.

> Additionally, you may want to install the SafePeer plugin.

Will do, as soon as the modem connects again. This is another leftover from
Sympatico, it may even be related to the problem I'm having with bittorrent,
they started around the same time.

> > the same behaviour is exhibited whether I use the default port
> > or not,
>
> Most trackers blacklist the BT default port because the majority of ISPs
> block it and many others these days. The tracker FAQ usually says so.

I only used the default to as a test, I've been using ports above 50000 for
quite some time. All of them give the same result now, though :-\

> > and also by three different clients (azureus, bittornado, and
> > bittorrent-console). Torrents tried are from a variety of sources.
>
> You can test if your system is connectible at NatCheck:
> http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
> This will verify that port forwarding is set up correctly.
> Unfortunately the service is frequently down. Like now.
>
> Your port can also be tested at Gibson Research's "ShieldsUp!":
> https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=<port number>,
> where <port number> is the port that you are using for your BitTorrent
> data. If it reports that the port is "Open", then your port forwarding
> is working okay. If it reports that the port status is "Stealth" or
> "Closed", then the port is not open and your system will not be
> connectible for BitTorrent communications.

That guy's still around?? Jeez, I was a 'fan' way back in the old days...7
years ago ;)

Shows 'Open!', so that matches what Azureus has been showing the last few hours.

> http://www.portforward.com has detailed information on setting up port
> forwarding for a large number of different routers and it also has
> information on setting up a static IP address in your computer.

Ah, that's another difference, isn't it? Never thought of that. On a static IP
now, but I'm not sure what would be different in Bittorrent.

Portforward has nothing on my router, not surprised, it's this thing:

http://www.bbiagent.net/

It doesn't say anything about a static IP on Linux (Win and Mac only), but these
instructions seem to refer to computers that are connected directly to the
'Net, no?

> To find out if you're behind a (transparent/anonymous) proxy, try
> ProxyJudge: http://proxyjudge.org/
> It lists the HTTP headers that the server where it is running received
> from you. The relevant ones are HTTP_CLIENT_IP, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and
> REMOTE_ADDR.

Now this is interesting.

I don't see anything like HTTP_CLIENT_IP or HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR. I do see
REMOTE_ADDR, which is different from my local IP of course, and this:

# REMOTE_HOST

Result
Comment
    Maybe no problem.

# HTTP Env. Value

Result
    Via a Proxy
Comment
    Dubious valuable is detected.

# AnonyLevel : 4
  If it is not slow, it is useful.

This is completely new to me. I see there are settings in Azureus for using a
proxy, I'm assuming from the results from proxyjudge that REMOTE_ADDR is the
address of the proxy?

>> This is really weird :-\
>
> Quite common, actually.

Weird for me in the sense that my bittorrent setup was working just peachy for
a couple of years like this, then everything just went in the crapper. At first
I blamed Sympatico...

now I *definitely* blame Sympatico ;)

Thanks for all the info, some great leads to follow. Much appreciated!

--
JoeHill