Ethernet autonegotiate vs forcing full speed

Sheldon Mustard smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 25 17:28:43 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> There is debate at work regarding network Ethernet auto-negotiation.

So I am not alone in my suffering ... maybe we should start a support
group for recovering speed and duplex hard coders.  Migrating
everything to auto can be a struggle in certain environments
especially with legacy equipment both on the server and networking
equipment side.  God forbid ppl actually have to do work and change
stuff and make the auto-negotiation actually work properly and confirm
that it has worked.

As Len mentioned gigabit pretty much eliminates these problems and all
the vendors appear to be onboard and building stuff that conforms to
the standards.  I have noticed that most stuff both server and
networking wise doesn't even give you an option to hard code stuff
anymore ... if it is gigabit auto is the only option ... thanks god.
So now all we need to do is get everything upgraded to gigabit, simple
right :).

SJM

--
Sheldon Mustard
smustard-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
"There will be no order, only chaos." - Pi (1998)