CAT6 cable by the roll

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 25 15:00:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 10:49 -0400, David J Patrick wrote:

> I need another roll of network cable.
> First of all, is cat6 the same as cat5, but higher specs ?
> and secondly,
> where is a god place to buy that sort of thing ?
> Sonham ?
> Active Surplus ?
> Above All electronics ?
> somewheres else ?

Our local home depot (in Waterloo) sells cable but expect to pay a
premium. They also sell the jacks and tools, but I don't recall seeing
any patch panels. I often purchase from Anixter.ca.

Cat6 and cat5e and cat 5 all have 4 pair of wires but the cat6 is of
higher spec and requires more meticulous termination to keep the cat6
specification. Expect cable and connectors to cost more.

You need to know the difference between "plenum" cable (also called FT6)
is required by building codes when cable is installed in air ducts. Most
suspended ceilings are considered air return and require FT6. FT6 costs
about three times as much as FT4 cable ($275/box vs $90/box). The
difference is the jacket and how well it resists burning.