apt-get install gcc-g++ fails because ++ is removed.

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 25 07:24:20 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I meant to say you can try using [] around each of the special characters that
> a simple \ still doesn't protect. ie. apt-get install gcc-g[+][+]

I'll give this a shot.

> Putting the 'gcc-g++' in double quotes would have been the simpler approach
> but even the double quotes doesn't always seem to protect some special
> characters in strings.

I also think apt-get interprets - to remove packages and + to add
packages which may be confusing things

apt-get install nano vi- emacs-

I am told this removes vi and emacs while installing nano.  =)

On 5/24/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Which debian version?

PCLinuxOS 2007

> Is there even a gcc-g++ package?  Debian has gcc and g++ but no gcc-g++

Sorry, that was a typo.. it's gcc-c++

> And for apt-cache which does regex I have to do:
>
> apt-cache search g\\+\\+
> or
> apt-cache search 'g\+\+'

I'll play with these, thanks.

Strangely, others seem to not be reproducing this, but they're using
'sudo' first, and I just do 'su'.  When I have a moment at the office
I'll try again.