tweaking $TERM - SOLUTION

Fri May 25 03:09:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 11:25:04AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>Giles Orr wrote:
>> I've come up against similar problems and your comment about "man
>> terminfo" is what stopped me - I just gave up.  If you're successful
>> and feel like sharing, please post info about what you did either to
>> me or back to the list if others are interested.  Thanks.
>
>It's intimidating but, like so much of Linux and Unix before it,
>figuring out the secret handshake is half the battle. The tweaking a
>terminfo entry is not particularly difficult once the tools are known:
>
>1) identify a definition that is close to what you want
>
>2) decompile it using `infocmp` to a text file
>
>3) use your favourite editor to adjust the handful of variables you want
>to change
>
>4) using that same editor, give your entry a new name. if the
>differences from the one you started are minor, considering the name in
>the form of "basename-modname" (ie, "ansi-color")
>
>5) recompile using tic. Usually this will place the compiled verion in
>the right place for you.
>
>6) you can use `infocmp` to verify the differences between the base
>entry and your modified one.
>
>There are a lot of terminfo entries out there. Many Linux distributions
>only install a small subset (usually the ansi, vt100 and wyse ones) and
>keep the rest in another package to be optionally installed.

After working with these instructions, I found that the difference
between the terminfo that worked best for everything except finch
(terminal IM program) and the one that worked best for finch was that
the first had "with bce support" and the other didn't.  So, I was not
able to craft a best fit terminfo with only one differentiator.

My solution, such as it is, is to reset one terminal with $TERM=screen
and then run finch, and leave all of the others as screen-bce.  It is
not perfect, but I learned a lot in the process.  Thanks to all for the
help.
--

yours,

William