apt-get install gcc-g++ fails because ++ is removed.

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 24 17:17:16 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sometimes I have had problems using \ to escape some special characters in
> commands. I find putting them inside [] often seems to work.

I wasn't sure what you meant, so I tried these:
[apt-get install gcc-g++]
apt-get [install gcc-g++]
apt-get install gcc-g[++]

No luck with those.

On 5/24/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Try apt-get install 'gcc-g++'

No joy.  I had already tried a few variations of this with no luck.

> Using some weird shell?  Or did you do something crazy to your shell
> settings?

No, nothing odd.  I checked my processes and it's bash.

bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)-release (i586-mandriva-linux-gnu)

I could compare this to a previous installation where ++ did work for
me.  Maybe it's a bash issue and a version change could help me learn
more?