Linux-friendly (non-Bell) GTA DSL providers

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 24 14:33:39 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 07:15:48AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>
>> Other than port 25, what does Rogers block?
>>

> I have seen nastygrams sent to people over web servers and ftp servers,
> and they try their best to kill the performance of p2p systems.

There's a difference between "nastygrams" and blocking ports.  Some time
ago, I read in their FAQs or other online info that while users are
prohibited from running such services, they only enforce if it becomes a
problem.  So, if you had a server that you use only for personal
purposes, it's not an issue.  However, if your server is widely used by
others, then they'll remind you that you're violating the TOS.  They
have to include those prohibitions listed, even if they only want to go
after the abusers.  Their concern is overuse of shared bandwidth, not
what you're doing.