IT360 Show.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 23 22:18:51 UTC 2007

As many on this mailing list saw/head most of the "big
names" in the Linux industry did not show up at the
IT360 show this year. Well, I found out at least part
of the reason. In the last 48 hours I spoke briefly
with a senior staff member of one of the major names
in the industry (a firm big enough, and Linux friendly
enough, that they are in a lawsuit with SCO :-) ). Any
trade show decisions in Canada cross this person's
desk.

Bottom line I gather works as follows:

- Cost of a trade show booth, furnishings, staff,
swag,
  etc., about $100,000
- Total number of new sales they could DIRECTLY tie to
  the Linux World show over the last two years - ZERO.

Now, had the show stayed Linux focused this person
might have considered it, just for brand promotion.
But with the loss of a Linux focus it just was not
worth the money...

This combined with the fact that it used to be the
only way you could find out about new stuff was via
trade shows, something that the web has changed....

Colin McGregor