why not use vesa driver as X default?

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Wed May 23 20:04:18 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Based on some recent ubuntu installs where everything else
"just worked" but X-windows (and the whole system) "just froze" I'm
wondering why the drive in xorg.conf doesn't default to a more robust
(if non-optimal) driver like vesa? There could always be a clear option to switch
to a video card specific driver, but why not default to something that
"just works" so as not to scare off new users?

Thanks to the good suggestion from one of the experts on this list,
switching to vesa solved the problem for me twice on two different computers-- but
as a newby-level user I would never have known to try that without outside help,
which is kind of the point I am trying to make.

Probably there are some good reasons for the current defaults that I don't
know about, but given all the recent posts about the "just works" aspects
of linux I thought I would put that out as a question.

Alex