help with subversion merging

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 23 14:53:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 07:54:36PM -0400, tleslie wrote:
> just watched Linus's Google talk video on GIT,
> he says if you use svn (or cvs) and especial merge,
> you are "ugly and stupid!"
> well thats what Torvalds says any ways.

He has a way with words doesn't he.

> He did a good sales pitch on GIT,
> I wonder if it really is as good as he says.
> He claims cvs/svn are just plain broken and should never be used,
> etc,etc,etc,
> this doesn't help your question, but
> I just thought you'd like to know what Linus thinks of you!.

I have seen his opinions on CVS (I don't think I have met anyone that
thinks CVS is good), but I didn't know he didn't liek svn.  I know svn
doesn't fit his way of working with the kernel, but that is all.

> I use svn, but I am going to give GIT a try , I think he might be on to
> something ... well either that or he is "on" something.

git is a rather amazing system for working with the kernel and having
lots of people working on their own trees with the ability to move
around patch sets (commits), between trees.  Not sure how it would work
for other things.  git bisect is certainly just amazing, but again I am
not sure if that applies to that many other things.

--
Len Sorensen