Linux-friendly (non-Bell) GTA DSL providers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 22 17:25:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:06:42AM -0700, asdf wrote:
> I wanted to find out if any of the following GTA high-speed DSL providers are known
> to be Linux/BSD friendly (i.e. Linux/BSD routers work well even though they may not
> be officially supported):
>
>    Acanac     http://acanac.ca/
>    3Web       http://www.get3web.com/
>    Inter.Net  http://www.ca.inter.net/
>
> and also wanted to get recommendations from TLUG members on which (non-Bell) DSL
> provider to choose. Is anyone on this list using one of the above ISPs? What's your
> experience been like?
>
> I am currently using Rogers cable internet but recently have been experiencing very
> bad download and upload speeds and am ready to try DSL! I am looking to avoid Bell
> and instead want to try one of the smaller ISPs/providers who seem to be offering
> speeds similar to Bell but at cheaper rates.
>
> Never having used DSL before, I also want to find out how well the PPPoE client in
> Linux (and for those of you have experience with it, in OpenBSD and in FreeBSD)
> works . One of the reasons I've stuck with Rogers cable internet for so long is that
> the AccessManager (PPPoE) software was never required and setting up a Linux/BSD
> router/firewall was simple and easy.

PPPoE on linux works perfectly and is rather trivial to setup.

Of course if it uses PPPoE it really is Bell DSL systems you are going
through, although the ISP providing the actual bandwidth to the internet
is not Bell (usually at least).

I am currently considering going to DSL from rogers as well.  So far out
of the suggestions I have had, teksavvy looks promising.

--
Len Sorensen