Solved: Can't connect to internal modem

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri May 18 03:11:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 07:20:28AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
>   My ADSL connection had a short outage during the weekend.  I
> discovered, to my consternation, that my machine's internal modem wasn't
> being picked up.  This is a 1999 Dell PIII that refuses to die.  The PCI
> modem has worked in the past under Redhat and Gentoo.  "lspci -v" shows...
>
> 00:10.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
> 5610
> +(rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
>         Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device baba
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
>         I/O ports at 1430 [size=8]
>         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

  A rather heavy-handed solution was to emerge "setserial" and execute

setserial /dev/ttyS4 port 0x1430 irq 9

  This initializes the port, and pppconfig now finds /dev/ttyS4 when
doing an auto-probe.  And dialup works.  This is nice to know, because
I'll be moving later this summer, and may be dialup-only for a few weeks
depending on circumstances.

  I've copied the above setserial command to /etc/conf.d/local.start to
ensure it's automatically executed at bootup.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?