alternatives to terago wireless in toronto ???

Wed May 16 22:20:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 05:24:12PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:57:40PM -0400, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
>> It is UTF-8 standard, that everyone, especially unix people should get around to
>> using. For the longest time russian sites used cp1251 or koi8-r encoding,
>> which is dubious - originated in non-unix/non-internet way. His headers say
>> that mail is UTF-8 encoded, so he didn't try to trick people into reading
>> his partially 'binary' email. utf-8 is kernel-level friendly.
>
>Well mutt running over ssh with terminal type of 'xterm' just showed ???
>for each non ascii character.  For mailing lists you are better off with
>plain text.  For some languages unicode is needed, but for english it
>isn't, unless apparenly your mac thinks you would like 'pretty' wide
>capitals.  Fortunately it can apparently be told not to do that.
>
>I probably should see if I can convince it to support unicode.

I run terminals over SSH pretty much constantly, and something that
makes an enormous difference to me in that context is screen.  Even if
you are just running a single activity in screen it is very handy, as
screen will better support UTF8, but it really shines if your connection
drops, as you will be able to resume your session once you have
connectivity, and once you start multiplexing your terminals you will
also have an advantage.

I run a screen session with 7 subscreens, four for mutt with different
accounts, one shell, one is mp3blaster (handy even when remote - I can
send audio messages to my wife at home) and one running finch, an
instant messages program.

I can be working on things remotely, come home and continue, then go
back to work the next day, for weeks, without starting or stopping any
given activity.  The fact that it gets colours, cursor keys, Home and
End keys right is all just a big bonus.
--

yours,

William