alternatives to terago wireless in toronto ???

Wed May 16 16:32:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:22:10AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:47:28AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Apparently I can't read you weird letters in your message.  Whatever did
>> you do/use?

>Well after looking it up it turns out that your email client being
>overly clever decided that it would be a good idea to use a
>'FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER V' rather than a
>'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER V'
>
>Stupid Macs.  Always have to use fancy quotes, fancy capital letters and
>fancy who knows what, never mind that no one else can read the darn
>stuff. :)

Well, I'll grant that Apple, quite sensibly based on their target
markets ten+ years ago (musicians, artists, graphic designers), do
things differently to give a "more polished" look to their products and
services, and I'll grant that this makes their output less
interoperable, but I will not fault them entirely.  I have set up my
terminals to use UTF8, and I read the original email just fine in mutt.

I think that using non-UTF8 in this day and age is more likely to lead
to problems rather than less.  Macs use unicode, Windows uses unicode,
and Linux/*BSD are fully capable of handling and displaying unicode.
More and more of my input is unicode, so it makes sense to handle it.
Vim manages most potential problems by being sensitive to the file
encoding, so I can edit ascii and write ascii when needed without
jumping through hoops.

I think the phrase is "be generous with what you accept, and strict with
what you produce", and while Macs may not necessarily follow the second,
you are not following the first.  Still, the meaning managed to come
through throughout this exchange, including smileys, so it's probably
not that big a deal :-)
--

yours,

William