Can't connect to internal modem

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed May 16 11:20:28 UTC 2007

  My ADSL connection had a short outage during the weekend.  I
discovered, to my consternation, that my machine's internal modem wasn't
being picked up.  This is a 1999 Dell PIII that refuses to die.  The PCI
modem has worked in the past under Redhat and Gentoo.  "lspci -v" shows...

00:10.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model
5610
+(rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
        Subsystem: 3Com Corp, Modem Division Unknown device baba
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
        I/O ports at 1430 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

  It's *NOT* a "winmodem".  It's a bog-standard PCI modem that has
worked in the past under linux without requiring special drivers.  The
only tweak it requires is allocating more than 4 serial ports in the
kernel, which I've done.  Any ideas on kernel settings I might have
missed?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?