[OT] IP Problems in Windoze

Patrick Allen pallen3-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue May 15 16:21:51 UTC 2007

Paul King wrote:

> The problem of not hooking up still persists when I turn off the wireless and
> switch to cat 5. To get rid of the unusual IP, I run ipconfig or reboot.

Strange that your not automagically being assigned a new IP when you switch
connections.  But Windows networking is strange and I can't claim to fully
understand everything going on under the hood.

The "ipconfig /relase" then "ipconfig /renew" commands often come in very handy
for me.  (So much so that I added a Command Prompt shortcut to my Quick Launch)

There are ways of changing the IP Lease time.  You might want to look into that
so that you won't have to manually release them.

--

Patrick Allen