[OT] IP Problems in Windoze

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue May 15 03:47:37 UTC 2007

> Paul King wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I seem to be logging on to an outside network that has superceded my router.
> > The address family of my laptop is now 164.*.*.*, when it ought to be
> > 192.*.*.* (the address family of my router).
>
> I'm assuming this is the wireless NIC on you laptop?
>
> Sounds like there must be an open network nearby with a DHCP server.  That's
> probably where you're picking up the unusual IP.
>
>  From Windows "Network Connections" interface, you should be able to choose
> which wireless signal you want to connect to if there is more than one
> available.

It appears as though there are two with the same name ("default"), and since I
changed the network name on my router (thinking that that was the problem), the
problem still hasn't gone away.

The problem of not hooking up still persists when I turn off the wireless and
switch to cat 5. To get rid of the unusual IP, I run ipconfig or reboot.

Regards

Paul