DVD Not Clear On Playback

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 14 19:37:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:31:38PM -0400, Glen Strom wrote:
> I was looking at Tiger Direct. They have an FX5200 for under $50, but
> there are a couple of problems with it. First of all, the interface
> speed is 8x--My machine can only handle 4X. Secondly, the specs also
> say it needs at least a 250 watt power supply--my machine specs say the
> power supply is only 200 watts. I'm only willing to spend so much on
> upgrading this old box. A new card? OK. More than that? I don't think
> so.

I used to run an FX5200 on my A7V (Via KT133) which is also 4x only.

The only problem I ever had was that one version of the binary nvidia
drivers tried to run the card faster than 4x due to a bug in the driver
code which just didn't work under heavy 3D load.  Disabling the AGP
feature solved it, as did fixing the bug eventualy.  You hardly ever
need the AGP transfer from system memory stuff anyhow so disabling the
agp stuff was no big deal.

> I noticed they have another card called a Diablotek GeForce4 MX 440
> that seems to have lower specs. It handles 4X or 8x and has 128 MB of
> DDR memory. It doesn't say anything about the power supply
> requirements, but the minimum system requirements start out at the
> Pentium level up to AMD-K6. Perhaps something like that might work?

The FX5200 is 4x/8x too.  The GeForce4 MX is a GeForce 2 based design,
and is ancient to the point I am not even sure it could do video
acceleration.  I wouldn't touch that one.  I currently run a 6600GT on
that AGP 4x system.  I believe all AGP 8x devices can run in a 4x
system, but nothing lower than that.

--
Len Sorensen