DVD Not Clear On Playback

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 14 16:52:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:09:46 -0400
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> What kind of monitor do you use?  Your description sounds a lot like a
> crappy old LCD with a much to slow transition speed.  Older LCD
> monitors were terrible at action games and movie playback because of
> their slow updates.

It's a CRT monitor, a 22" Compaq P1220 with Mitsubishi Trinitron
technology. It's set at 1024 x 768 and the refresh rate is 85 Hz.

> Now if these are your own home made DVDs then it may simply be that
> the encoder used was bad or run with the wrong options.

It's a commercially made DVD.

> Now it is a rather slow machine, although I have done dvd playback on
> slower than that reasonably well.  My athlon 700 plays dvds perfectly,
> although I know for sure the nvidia 6600 gt drivers do xvideo
> acceleration so the yuv conversion and such are done in hardware,
> which is an otherwise huge load on the cpu so that probably helps a
> lot.  I have no idea if tha rage 128 does that, or if the drivers
> support it or not.

I don't know either. Although the machine is old, the DVD playback was
smooth and, other than the ghosting, showed no problems--no dropped
frames and the sound was steady. That's why I wonder if the problem is
the card. Perhaps upgrading to a newer video card with a Nvidia chipset
would be the answer. What might be a good choice for a machine this old?

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org