DVD Not Clear On Playback

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 13 20:27:03 UTC 2007

I replaced my old cd-rom and cdrw drives with dvd-rom and dvd-writer
drives. The DVD seems to play fine -- no jerky motions or dropouts and
the sound is fine -- until people start to move. Then I get a ghosting
effect, not unlike a Star Trek kind of "phase shift". When the people
stop moving, everything is clear again.

The new drives are as follows:
- LG Electronics Model GSA-H22N DVD-Writer
id:   cdrom:0
product:   HL-DT-STDVD-RAM -- LG Electronics GSA-H22N
physical id:   0
bus info:   ide at 1.0
logical name:   /dev/hdc
version:   1.01
capabilities:   packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba iordy
configuration: mode  =  udma2

- Lite On DVD-ROM  Model SHD-16P1S
id: cdrom:1
product:   LITE-ON DVD SHD-16P1S
physical id: 1
bus info: ide at 1.1
logical name: /dev/hdd
version:   GS07
capabilities:   packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba
iordy audio dvd configuration:
mode  =  udma2

My System Specs are as follows:
- Dell Dimension 4100
- Intel Pentium III (Coppermine), 930 MHz
- L1 Cache 32-kb SRAM, L2 Cache 256 Kb
- 512 Megs of memory
- video card: ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16 MHz of memory

I only have the one DVD so I can't test out another one. I suspect my
video card is the problem because it really is ancient. Does this sound
like a video card problem or something else?

I have another minor problem with these drives. They play data CD's at
a much higher speed than the old drives did, and the playback is very
noisy. Is there a way to tell the drives to spin at a slower speed?

Thanks.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org