Revolution OS

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 10 20:03:39 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thanks to the folks who put together tonight's TLUG meeting.
>
> It was interesting to see and hear some of the main characters behind Free
> Software/Open Source.

Interesting indeed.  About the only face that wasn't familiar was
Larry Augustin; I have neither met him nor Linus Torvalds.

RMS sounded very much... like RMS...  Anyone that  agrees with him
most of the time is likely a member of the "personality cult"...  I
haven't ever felt that I had a conversation with him; his words get
considered so important that he evidently feels the need to
self-censor to a degree that, well, it doesn't feel like
"conversation."

I thought there was a fair bit of cautionary note to the presentation.
 It presented quite the "bubble" of activity in 2000 and 2001, where
fortunes were both made and lost.  In effect, that was the time of the
biggest and wildest and wackiest Linux-related tradeshows.  What we
see now is a pale, pale shade of what was back then.  There definitely
is a note of "the more exciting it gets, the bigger the fall" in it.
That is wise for us to be careful of...

"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)