Dirty Hydro?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 19:54:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:35:28PM -0400, Duncan MacGregor wrote:
> Last year, in Toronto, I had a strange thing happen with my aging TV set, a
> 28" Hitachi.
>
> From July through to September, it would not turn on reliably. (The power
> switch is of the 'instant-on' variety.) Then in late September, it
> consistently worked fine again.
>
> Since the end of September last year I wondered if this was some sort of
> low-voltage experiment on the part of Hydro.

It appears that it is considered normal practice to reduce the voltage
by up to 3% whenever the electrical system is close to reaching it's
capacity limits, which of course happens mostly during the summer.

On the other hand I would be surprised that the electronics parts
would't have a good enough voltage regulator to not care one way or the
other.  It almost seems more likely that the house being hotter or more
humid could cause the problem.

--
Len Sorensen