Gmail users - request regarding HTML

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 14:04:53 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Scott Allen <scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> To all Gmail users posting to TLUG:
>
> The tag lines added to TLUG mailing list postings state:
> "TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns"
>
> Regarding posting in HTML;
>
> Gmail, by default, seems to send messages with both a plain text and
> a duplicate HTML part. To honour the TLUG request, the following
> links explain how you can set Gmail to use plain text only.
>
> <http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et122706.htm>
>
> <http://www.socal-raves.org/html-email.html#gmail>
>
> <http://www.gregwhitescarver.com/blog/2006/11/13/why-oh-why-is-gmail-using-rich-text/>
>
> I hope I don't come across as the TLUG police or anything. It's just
> that my mail reader favours displaying the HTML part, which is harder
> to read than the plain text part.
>
> Thanks to Alex Beamish for helping to find and test this technique,
> since I don't use Gmail myself.

And thanks to you, Scott, for approaching me in a tactful and patient
manner -- I abhor HTML E-Mail, and was surprised and incredulous to
discover that I'd been inadvertently sending it out to the list. Yech.

A reminder to GMail users: if you can see 'Rich formatting >>' just
above the top left of the window in which you're typing, that's a good
thing. If you can see font choices and other formatting junk, you're
in a Bad Place. ;)

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario