Fedora on 64MB RAM

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun May 6 14:31:38 UTC 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007 12:42:45 -0400
"Ansar Mohammed" <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to install fedora on a machine with 64MB of RAM?

Ansar,

   I do not see any problems installing it.  Are you planning to run X-windows on this thing?  I just upgraded my PII/350 from 256Mb to 636Mb, and the speed improvement is noticeable, especially when I use my printer.  I am running FC6, with Xen disabled.

   I ran Slackware_3 quite happily on a machine with 20Mb RAM, but they keep adding bells and whistles.  I have retired my P233 laptop with Red Hat 7.3 and 64Mb RAM because it was too slow running Open Office.

   If you run a small window manager like FVWM2 and use a text editor to write your formatted documents (HTML and LaTeX), you have a chance.  I do not think web browsing will work.

   Failing all that, Tom Jones by Henry Fielding is an excellent read and probably a major influence on Douglas Adams when he wrote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  My copy is 884 pages long, but you will have time.  :)

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org