500GB external HD - $69

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 4 20:51:54 UTC 2007

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> They do that, gotta figure give away 50 or 100 drives at a lost, and
> all the hype and people telling their friends will get some eyeballs
> that will bite and spend the full $250+
I like to think that my friends are smarter than that. How many people
on this list who saw my original email bit at the full price?

A bargain is a bargain, and if I'm one of the lucky 100 then good for
me. It's up to the informed consumer not to fall for the
bait-and-switch, extended warranties, etc. The concept of a "door
crasher" sale is hardly new, and is hardly fraudulent.

At least nobody had to travel to a store just to find the sale price was
no longer valid; nobody was inconvenienced for more than a little lost time.

> That and you get people coming back the site to check for other "deals".
I don't, I rely on others. My friend who pointed me to the Dell special
gets an RSS feed from redflagdeals.com, where other people who *do*
check back reported the temporary price drop.

The tradeoff is that the people who _do_ spend the time to check in
regularly will find these deals before the rest of us, and will more
likely be able to take advantage before the stock runs out (or the error
is spotted).

> Likely just a mistake at that price, but we all know how companies
> sell things like printers at a loss and recoup it in toner/cartridges
> etc. Heck, even a 4L bag of milk usually costs less than a store pays
> for it to get you to buy other stuff like chips and candybars...
Welcome to the world of retail.