Windows Vista restricts GNU GCC apps to 32 MB

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 22:29:02 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Understanding the accuracy of floating point calculations is often
> very difficult and not really for amateurs.  I consider myself an
> amateur even after a couple of undergrad courses and one grad course
> in numerical analysis (from Hull) and attending a couple of talks by
> Kahan.

I don't have *that* much understanding, but consider that the fact of
knowing that "there's a problem with floating point" is a vital bit of
necessary 'professional competence.'

Unfortunately, I don't think there are terribly many professionals
left in this regard, and this is leaving the world bereft of
understanding that it's even an issue.  That's very troubling.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)