Oh say can you SEO?

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 19:36:11 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I'd be greatly thankful if folks here can point me to good resources
> (books, websites, etc.) in the field of search engine optimization
> (SEO).

Better late... than never to reply. Hey, SEO is an iterative process so
maybe this is timeless regardly.

I did a whois on a website using http://www.domaintools.com/ which is
*much* more informative than a simple, generic whois. The results page
contains a lot of links and, of course, showcases other services and
power tools that "DomainTools" offer, many (most?) for free.

The initial query provided an "SEO Score" (95%) and is a link to their
"SEO Text Browser" tool. I'll let them explain:

"The SEO Text Browser tells the user what things could be improved with
the current web page they are browsing. New webmasters don't need to
know every SEO trick, a quick spin around the block with the SEO Text
Browser tells most of the major corrections that are needed to rank
better with on-page content. Best of all this is a free service by
DomainTools for all the white hats out there."

"The SEO Text Browser allows even the newest webmaster to easily view a
detailed and customized list of tasks to fix. Experts that know what
they are doing use lynx or study the source code. The SEOTB actually
gives easy step by step instructions on how to improve the web page the
user is surfing."

They go on to list the 5 "Step-by-Step Instructions To Fix SEO" and you
can find out more here: http://www.domaintools.com/seo-score/

Caveat #1: Finding DomainTools was a happy (?) accident I had today.
Just scratching the surface, so far. But I'm favourably impressed.

> Some of the sites I've been looking at so far promise "free" stuff
> that look like a one-way trip to their "hire me" section.

After a brief look around, I'd say they're looking for profit from
Domain Registrations and by promoting Web Hosting Providers. Dunno.
Ah, they have paid user account subscriptions, as well, which will
likely be of interest when I put my computer forensics hat on.

Caveat #2: The SEO Text Browser is Beta. If you provide feedback, you'll
be helping them build a better ($aleable?) tool. I haven't checked on
the license they're using. If this is FOSS, of course, it's mutually
beneficial, as we wish everything could be.

Caveat #3: Their English is nearly perfect but still hints that it's not
their mother tongue. So what. Too many native uni-grads are no better.
(I'm an Equal Opportunity adherent when offensive.) Maybe I should use
DomainTools' whois to discover more about them or the outfit that may be
their parent: Name Intelligence, Inc. http://www.nameintelligence.com/

Anyone experienced? Bueller?

Hope this is helpful, Evan. Feedback would be good.