Seeking opinions

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 17:17:06 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Brice Chaffin <bchaffin72-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for advice on how to get started with Linux as a career.
>
> I face some pros and cons in this quest.
>
> Pros:
>
> I usually learn quickly
> I consider loyalty important
> I love working with technology
>
> Cons:
>
> I have no official experience or certification, just personal
> experience.
>

> My question is: How does someone get started from such a position?
> I have been into computers and technology for years. I have been a
> Linux user for six years, and have used several distributions on
> different platforms in that time. I have tried to expand my knowledge
> and concentrate on practical skills. I have some programming ability,
> but am more interested in system administration. I also do most of my
> own PC assembly and maintainence, so I am a fair technician as well.
>

> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

I'd add one word to what John said: volunteer.

You can volunteer to provide technical support for some local
non-profit; you can volunteer to join a project on SourceForge; you
can volunteer to hang out on one of the IRC channels and help out
people who know less than you do, and learn from people who know more.

While it's possible to get a job without formal education or
certification, it's probably a lot harder. I was very fortunate to be
able to get a university education, but even doing community college
part-time is a worth-while endeavour. I'm not so sure about
certification, but that's probably a pet peeve.

And, perhaps toughest of all, be social -- ask interesting questions
and reply with interesting answers on the mailing lists; come out to
the monthly meetings; make contacts; be sure that everyone knows what
kind of work you do, and that you're looking for some. (This
pre-supposes that *you* already know what that is.)

Good luck.

Alex