identify i/o process

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 2 19:22:06 UTC 2007

Ken Burtch wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 18:06 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 04:29:29PM -0400, Jose wrote:
>>> I am having problem with a server, ti slows down and the disk i/o goes
>>> to 100%, I couldn't figure out how to run ps to allow me to see which
>>> process is the one giving me the trouble, does anybody know how to
>>> identify process doing lots of disk i/o?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Probably unrelated, but if you are using OpenSuSE 10.1, it has a known
> bug with the beagle program.  "top" will show beagle-helper as the top
> process.  Beagle-helper gets stuck in an infinite loop and makes the CPU
> go to 100% and can use up a lot of disk space.  If this is the problem,
> uninstall beagle.
>
> KB

Pretty much any version of Beagle that I've used on Debian, Fedora,
Ubuntu, and openSuSE have done that to me, so I gave up on it a while
back. I've recently compiled and am enjoying using recoll, a tool with
much the same functionality, but with much less overhead.

linux.com had an article on it a few weeks ago:
http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/1831255

Download it here: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/index.html

Jamon