is LPIC Certifications Respected in industry.

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 2 17:23:30 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can people give me there input on what they think about LPI ceritfications
> and if it makes people stand out when
> they have this certification (LPIC1 and LPIC2?)

This is a tough call.

Because of horror stories (hearsay, of course) about MCSE's who had no
clue about how to tune a Windows server, I would tend to discount
someone with any kind of certification. That doesn't mean I'd ignore
their resume completely. I expect that the worth of a certification
depends on whether the software professional reading the resume *has*
a certification or not. Human Resources staff (bless their hearts)
aren't usually as up on the various technical terms, and probably do
prefer certification because it's something that's measurable. (Any HR
types in attendance, please speak up.)

I had a conversation with Google a while back, and one of the things
that I took away from the chat was that I needed to get back to the
books. That's why I'm reading my latest O'Relly purchase cover to
cover -- 650 pages on HTTP. I have another 800 pages or so on AJAX to
read after that. I used Wireshark recently to diagnose a problem with
a server, and seeing SYN and SYN+ACK fly back and forth reminded me of
my very valuable and relevant experience in datacomm back in the 80's.
And I finally got around to getting one of my new projects running
using ModPerl::Registry, and was rewarded with a 95% improvement in
speed, which made my day.

I don't plan on getting certification for any of this -- I plan to use
this knowledge in as many projects as I can, though, because that's
what I expect to talk up with any future potential employer. If you
can show them that you've got a really good handle on a variety of
technologies, and that you're willing to pick up new stuff, you'll be
in fine shape.

Never allow yourself to slide into the safety zone of "I've learned
all I need to know" -- in the field of software development and
systems administration, that's definitely a Career Limiting Move.

Good luck.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario