identify i/o process

Ken Burtch kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 2 12:31:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 18:06 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 04:29:29PM -0400, Jose wrote:
> > I am having problem with a server, ti slows down and the disk i/o goes
> > to 100%, I couldn't figure out how to run ps to allow me to see which
> > process is the one giving me the trouble, does anybody know how to
> > identify process doing lots of disk i/o?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help

Probably unrelated, but if you are using OpenSuSE 10.1, it has a known
bug with the beagle program.  "top" will show beagle-helper as the top
process.  Beagle-helper gets stuck in an infinite loop and makes the CPU
go to 100% and can use up a lot of disk space.  If this is the problem,
uninstall beagle.

KB

Ken O. Burtch                                    Phone/Fax: 905-562-0848
  "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"               Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
  "Perl Phrasebook"                         Blog: http://www.pegasoft.ca