Dirty Hydro?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 2 10:22:03 UTC 2007

tleslie wrote:
> see if you can do the test at your neighbour.
>
> if its ok there, then sound to me like you either have
> something in your house that pulls up the ground in cycles,
> as per your statement,
> or you have a bum transform.
>
> i could imagine a dehumidifer, or something with a motor,
> that is pulsating on a motor restriction at 5t/s
> pulling up your ground (old houses can have crappy or cheated grounds).

The ground wire must *NEVER* be used as a conductor.  It's there as a
safety measure, should there be a circuit defect.  The neutral is the
return path.  It's common to see a voltage change, when a heavy
appliance is turned on or off, but that should only happen once, not
continuously.  A change that happens several times per second usually
indicates a potential problem.  As I mentioned in another note, aluminum
wiring can cause this behaviour.