is LPIC Certifications Respected in industry.

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Wed May 2 01:01:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> After 12 years of living in Canada as a fucken in fact immmigrant I have now
> a better view and am not afraid to express myself.

Hi Zbigniew.  I'm an immigrant (4 years) too so I felt like commenting.

> This society is sick, sick with purpose. It imports a lot well educated
> people but just exploits them after they are here. This is a sort of

Hmm... I can't say I feel exploited.  There are definitely problems.
Research shows educated immigrants trail behind similarly qualified
Canadians in income even after 10 years here.  Immigrant experiences are
across the board however.  I can say I've been very happy with my career
since arriving in Canada.

I come from Australia so no doubt integrating in to Canada was easier for
me than it would be for someone from Egypt or even eastern Europe since I
already spoke English as a first language and found the pervading culture
similar to what I was used to at home[1].

[1] Having said this, there are more differences than one might expect.
Soon after arriving I likened the change to having everything shifted 15
degrees.  It all looks the same in the big picture but there are just
enough small differences to make you stop and think.

As an example, I was at a picnic here one day and we were packing up the
car.  When asked, I suggested to a friend to she her bags in the boot.
She stared at me like I'd just arrived from Mars.  Why would anyone store
there bags in a boot?  My wife translated this to "trunk" for her.

There are a lot of serious examples such as learning what an RRSP is and
why no one has a clue what you mean when you talk about superannuation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superannuation_in_Australia

Similarly the idea of paying income tax to a province was odd to me.
Australian states surrendered the power to levy income tax during World
War II.  I think they were supposed to get it back after the war but
somehow it never happened.

One thing that stunned me was that not everyone in the western world
enjoys long service leave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_service_leave

Like I said, lots of small differences.

Ok, I've waffled enough now :)

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073