desktop system for sale !cheap!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 22:15:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:45:59PM +0200, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> I just thought I'd mention again that I have a fairly recent amd64
> desktop system for sale. I'm willing to give it away for extremely
> cheap. The only reason I'm selling it is that I'm out of the country for
> an extended period of time & don't have anywhere to store it.
>
> Please email me off-list if you're interested.
>
> The specs are listed below:
>
> ======================= $ 450 ==============================
>
> Processor: AMD Athlon64 3000+ ( up to 2.4 GHz, Socket 939)
> Chipset:   VIA K8T800 Pro
> Graphics:  ATI Radeon 9200 (64MB dedicated DDR RAM)
> Memory:    1GB PC3200 DDR RAM (up to 4GB)
> Network:   integrated Realtek 8110S gigabit ethernet adapter
>            MSI PC54G2 PCI Wireless-G (open-source ralink driver)
>                w/ external antenna
> Audio:     Realtek ALC850 8-Channel with SPDIF out (integrated)
>            Creative SB-Live (PCI) + gameport
> Other MoBo features:
>            Both SATA / IDE controllers, RAID[01] controller,
>            ACPI power management, 2 x IEEE 1394a,
>            8 USB ports (4 front), audio in front / back, IrDA,
>            Parallel port, Serial port
>
> Other things included:
>            17-inch trinitron (flat, CRT) Monitor,
>            Micro$oft Sidewinder gamepad, surround speakers,
>            really nice black case, 2-channel KVM switcher,
>            40GB hard drive. Micro$oft Natural Keyboard,
>            Logitech Optical wheel mouse, Dual Layer DVD-RW+/-
>
> ======================= $ 450 ==============================
>
> This machine is only approximately 17 months old. I've been away since
> October and it's been doing absolutely nothing for 8 of those months.
>
> All hardware is 100% linux compatible, including OpenGL acceleration wth
> the ATI graphics adapter using proprietary drivers.

I thought the 9200 could actually run 3D with open source drivers.

> Aside from linux enthusiasts, if anyone has a son or daughter going to
> university soon, this would be an excellent way to save money instead of
> buying a brand-new computer with all peripherals.
>
> The motherboard uses the same socket (939) as the newer multi-core AMD
> processors, but i've only tested it with a single-core processor.

Too bad only AM2 chips seem to be for sale anymore.  Socket 939 seems to
have totally disappeared.

> I'm practically giving this machine away because i'm selling it for
> $450. Originally I paid around $900 for the case, motherboard, ram, and
> CPU - pci parts alone. The AGP card was originally $100, the Wireless
> card was a special order for $130, and the audio card was originally
> $100. The monitor was originally $100. I haven't taken any of the other
> parts into my price approximation, but it's safe to say that I'm selling
> it for less than 33% of the original price.

Well a rough estimate of what parts similar to that would cost, reduced
a bit for being used and difficult to find upgrades for anymore, your
price seems fair.  I don't need another PC at the moment though.
Hopefully someone will want it.

The chipset on the mainboard works great with linux (one of the servers
at work has the same chipset although an asus board with a skge gigabit
rather than realtek for networking).  The HD is tiny, but drives are
cheap.  Both sound cards (onboard and add on) should work great with
ALSA.  I amsure you haven't had any linux issues with it.

--
Len Sorensen