Is it360 the death of the linux show in TO?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 21:24:06 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 08:42:30PM -0400, tleslie wrote:
> > I reg. for it360 and only just now went to check out this years
> > exhibitors,
> > no novell, no hp, no vmware, no 3ware, no redhat, ....
> > not a lot,
> > now i don't know whether to go to the it360 now ?....
> > except maybe to go because this will be the last show?
> >
> > I thought it wasn't half bad the last two-three years,
> > I am almost wondering if I am reading
> > the wrong exhibitor list?
> >
> > You would think with Linux growth it would be increasing with respect to
> > exhibitors.
> >
> > f%$^ing depressing.
>
> I think computer shows in general are dying.  People get all the news
> instantly on the internet, without having to go to a computer show to
> see all the new stuff announced.  After all the stuff that came out 6
> months ago is hardly news worth going to an anual computer show for.

The value of it isn't in seeing "new stuff," not as far as I am concerned.

My time at IT360 was, to my mind, VERY well spent, as I assortedly:

a) Found a possible sales lead for my company;
b) Verified that it's *vital* that I set up a talk/tutorial on a
not-yet-well-covered topic
c) Found leads on a set of people interested in discussing use of some
technology I am expert with

None of those items had anything to do with there being "new stuff" to
see; it ALL had to do with sticking a diverse set of technical people
in one big room.

I'm not entirely optimistic that IT360 will necessarily fly next year
as trade show.    If whatever trends have been in effect continue to
be in effect, they'll need to combine 18 tech conferences together to
make it work.  At some point, that may not make commercial sense.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)