identify i/o process

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 20:54:19 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Jose <jose-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am having problem with a server, ti slows down and the disk i/o goes
> to 100%, I couldn't figure out how to run ps to allow me to see which
> process is the one giving me the trouble, does anybody know how to
> identify process doing lots of disk i/o?

I don't know how to answer your question, but have you considered
alternatives?  Is there enough RAM in the system?  Maybe you've
overloaded it and it's swapping.  Is there free space available on on
the mounted filesystems?  I discovered the hard way that a filesystem
can slow down to glacial speeds if it's experiencing space pressure
because it's almost full.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com