[OT] IBM RS/6000 43P-133 up for grabs

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 19:46:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:07:31AM -0400, Paul Mora wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I've got an old IBM RS/6000 model 43P-133 available to anyone who
> wants to come and pick it up.  Here's the specs:
>
> Processor: PowerPC 604e - 133MHz
> Memory: 128Mb
> Disk: 2 x 4Gb SCSI disks, IDE CD-ROM drive, diskette drive
> Network: onboard 10Mb Ethernet, plus 2 x 10Mb ISA Ethernet cards
> Other: 2 x serial, 1 x parallel, 1 x game port, integrated sound card
> Operating System: AIX 4.3.3 ML11
> Case size: Mid-tower
> BONUS: IBM G76 17" CRT monitor
>
> Notes:  This machine is a nice little box that would be perfect for
> anyone who needs or wants to learn about AIX, IBM's flavour of UNIX.
> While it's not the latest/greatest release, the core OS concepts are
> all there.  Memory expansion is limited (256Mb max), but as long as
> you're not running any kind of graphical environment, it should work
> just fine as a little web/db server (would run Drupal nicely).  You
> can also add pre-compiled GNU software from www.bullfreeware.com.  The
> other kinda neat feature is that it has both integrated SCSI and IDE
> adapters, so you could expand the disk space quite nicely.  It uses
> standard PS2 style mouse and keyboard, and works perfectly through a
> KVM.  The onboard ethernet card doesn't work for some reason, but
> there are two ISA ethernet cards that work just fine.
>
> The machine comes with the AIX 4.3.3 install CDs, plus the SMS
> (firmware) diskettes, and an ancient copy of Windows for Workgroups
> 3.1.1 PowerPC Edition.  Hardware manuals can be downloaded in PDF
> format from www.ibm.com/pc/support (search on 7248-133).  The hardware
> is supported up to AIX 5.1, but in my experience, this machine runs
> best with 4.3.3.
>
> And, if you're REALLY adventurous, you CAN actually install Linux on
> it (so this post is not entirely off-topic). None of the modern
> distros work I think, but there was once upon a time a version of
> Slackware that worked with it.  The HOW-TO may still be on
> www.tldp.org; check it out.
>
> I'd really like to see the machine go to someone that will use it or
> learn from it.  Please contact me off list; first one that comes to
> get it gets it.

Well for whoever got it, Debian does support it.
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/prep

The 43P is listed as a supported model of PReP hardware.

Some day I will acquire a PPC machine (and hopefully an alpha).  So far
I have mips (both big and little endian), sparc, amd64, x86 and 68k.

--
Len Sorensen