Genesys gl811e - based usb mass storage

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 31 18:29:10 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 23:40, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I picked up a usb 2.0 hard disk
> enclosure created by a company called 'inLine' in Germany, and it was
> unfortunately not autodetected as a mass storage device with the linux
> kernel (2.6.19).

1. Make sure you cables are ok. Some of mine were defective.

Your problem can be caused by a weak power supply, especially if you take
drive power from the USB connection.

I eventually bought a $30 4-port hub  that came with a 2.5A 5V power supply:

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=USB_Hubs&product=2616527

THAT worked.  When I tried that power supply on the other cheaper hubs that
had failed, they also worked.

Duncan MacGregor   - Toronto -