OT: Dell to offer linux pre-installed on desktops

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 29 18:19:30 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Lance F. Squire <lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Alex Beamish wrote:
> > Nah .. but maybe we can start a betting line on that ..
> >
> > Ubuntu: 2:1
> > RedHat: 5:1
> > Debian: 20:1
> > Slack: 100:1
> > Gentoo: 10,000:1
> >
> > Any others?
> >

> Suse: 1:1 (As they've mentioned it already... :)

Or maybe not ..

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/03/29/linux-pre-installed-on-dell-for-real-this-time/

which says

Dell is yet to release information on which distribution will be chosen;
> however, Novell would be a good guess considering the present certification
> of Dell's desktop and notebook PCs.

So,

Novell: 2:1

And, depending on how the certification goes, Dell could even certify and
offer *mutliple* Linux distros.

More than one distro: 20:1

it's certainly interesting to watch Dell twist and turn in the avalanche of
public opinion at IdeaStorm: preloading Linux (thus making sure that it
works) is clearly something that's in demand. Once Dell understands that
Linux will help them sell hardware (their mission, after all), they'll be
all over it.

Or, you would think.

--
Alex Beamish